USING OUR BOOK
Our customers have found some really interesting ways to use our publication. Here are a few examples:
- Outreach — The Department of Defense Starbase program is using the book as part of a pilot program aimed at teaching children about engineering design and careers. The teachers think that the book gives the children an overview of engineering as a career and will be having the kids read it aloud. They also plan on using the marshmallow challenge (an activity in the book) for an engineering design challenge and competition throughout the program.
- After-School Programs — A number of elementary schools have after-school STEM programs at which they use the book to engage the students about engineering, relying heavily on the activities in the back of the book—puzzles, word searches, etc. The teachers believe that the diversity found in the illustrations of the book helps kids of all backgrounds see themselves as engineers.
- Libraries — The city of St Paul, MN, bought a large quantity of books for every elementary school library in the city. We believe that they are planning special readings in all of these libraries. It’s a great book for parents or older children to read to young children.
- Teacher Training — The United States Naval Academy is handing out the book to all of the teachers who come through their training program.
- Family Engineering Night — Some schools invite the parents to come in with their children to do the marshmallow challenge (at the back of the book). More information about the challenge (and examples of finished products!) here. Each family could then take a book home to read together to encourage a greater understanding of engineering careers.
For classroom ideas, click here.
For downloadable pdf of this page and classroom ideas, click here.
How are YOU using the book? We'd love to hear your creative ideas! Email us here.